Thursday, June 4, 2009

A Spencer Moment...

So we were eating dinner the other night, and out of nowhere, Spencer says the following:

SPENCER: Mom, I wish I was Black.
ME: Why do you want to be Black?
SPENCER: -SILENCE-
ME: IS IT BECAUSE YOUR FRIENDS, SONJE, SOLOMON, AND MICAH ARE BLACK AND YOU WANT TO BE LIKE THEM?
SPENCER: -MORE SILENCE-.....NO, ALL THE GOOD RUNNING BACKS ARE BLACK.....LT, ERNIE DAVIS (from that Disney show), WESTBROOK.....
ME: -SILENCE-
ME: -MORE SILENCE- (WELL, WHAT SHOULD I SAY, THE KID'S RIGHT?!)
ME: WELL, SWEETIE, YES THOSE RUNNING BACKS ARE ALL REALLY GOOD AND YES BLACK PEOPLE ARE REALLY FAST, BUT SO WILL YOU IF YOU KEEP RUNNING AND PRACTICING.

Poor guy, he was so BUMMED! I didn't want to shoot down his dreams. He is a fast kid, but again..... he is right. It's been 2 days and I'm still racking my brain and can't come up with 1 amazing WHITE NFL running back!

Oh the things our kids say! Rob and I had a good laugh later about the whole thing. He's such a football lover and wants to be like his favorite player-- Ladanian Tomlinson, RB for the San Diego Chargers, and he was just so cute about it! He knows so much about football that he recognizes that running backs are in fact Black. I love kids' pure honesty and how they voice their true emotions without worrying about how it all sounds. --Man, I love this kid!

Who knows, maybe Spencer will be the first? -Or maybe we'll just have to slowly transition him to QB or WR....plenty of white guy opportunities there!

4 comments:

Magnusons said...

That's too funny!

Shaela said...

oh man, what an observant little guy! I think you did great. And maybe he WILL be the first, that would be awesome! (btw, thanks for the heads up yesterday!)

Larry, Shanda, Aana, and Addison said...

That is a riot...and the pic is a perfect visual for that story! He really makes me laugh!!!

Leslie said...

too cute! i love it! tell him to keep practicing he will be lighting fast!